The Cocoon Hostel @ Ratchathewi


Ratchathewi has somehow become my favourite area to stay whenever I travel to Bangkok alone or with friends. I like how it is away from the hustle and bustle of city centre, yet it is located near to popular areas such as Siam and Platinum Fashion Mall. Not to forget that there are plenty of eateries nearby.

The Cocoon Hostel seemed like the perfect hostel for my extremely short trip to Bangkok back in July 2019 - it's about 6 minutes away from Platinum Fashion Mall on foot, it looks clean and comfortable on Agoda, and it only costed me RM58 for two night stay.  


I have to admit that it was challenging for me to find the Cocoon Hostel at night considering how I'm not familiar with that side of Ratchathewi. Fortunately, I was able to check in before the reception closed at 11pm. While I appreciate that the receptionist was kind enough to show me around, I was a wee bit disappointed that he didn't offer to help me carry my heavy luggage up the stairs (or maybe I had unreasonably high expectations LOL).


The Cocoon Hostel provides free snacks, coffee and bread which are available throughout the day. I believe they usually have activities at 9pm, however I've never been around to see it for myself. The hostel also has Netflix and games for their guests. 

What I like about the Cocoon Hostel: free towel (which is not that common for hostels), every bunk bed comes with a relatively big locker to store personal belongings (but without padlock) and privacy curtain. 

Sadly, I have to say there are a few things that I dislike about the hostel.  

First of all, contrary to most reviews on Agoda, I personally feel that the hostel is rather far away from Ratchathewi BTS station (about 10 to 15 minutes). Secondly, everyone is required to take off their shoes when they arrive at the hostel (not sure how I feel about leaving my expensive shoes just like that, plus they do not have enough shoe racks/ cabinets). And the one thing that I dislike the most: the showers are really dirty with a lot of hair/ rubbish on the floor. 

Also, the hostel switches off air-conditioner during the day until 6pm, which could be inconvenient in case you are not feeling so well and need to take a nap.

All in all, it's probably not that bad but I honestly wish I'd paid more to stay at Bed Station Hostel or Bed One Block Hostel. I've had wonderful experience staying there! Plus both hostels are just next to Ratchathewi BTS station with cheap massage and many food stalls opened at night.


The Cocoon Hostel



Post a Comment

My Instagram

Made with by OddThemes | Distributed by Gooyaabi Templates