Must Eat Food in Sydney


I guess it should be evident by now that I basically live to eat. I'm such a huge foodie that I'd even plan my itinerary around the places where the must eat food is located. I suppose this is one of the reasons why I like to travel solo instead of booking a tour. 

Anyway, I've spent about 10 days (in November 2018) in Sydney this time and I present to you, the must eat food in Sydney (in no particular order):

The Choc Pot


Goodness, even looking at this makes me drool. This is perhaps the best chocolate dessert that I've had in Sydney so far: rich, soft but not too sweet. It is literally on their cover page of the menu, so you definitely can't go wrong with this signature dessert!

Overall, the Choc Pot is a really cute and cozy place to hang out and it's just impossible to not take photos while you're there. 






We also ordered a crepe to share among the 5 of us. Similar to the choc pot, it isn't overly sweet which makes me wonder what chocolate do they use in making the desserts. However, be warned that it's very messy to eat the crepe so eat carefully or else you will end up having chocolate stain everywhere! 


Since the choc pot is so freaking memorable, I re-visited the place in Burwood on my last day in Sydney. 

Fun fact: I actually went back on my second last day in Sydney but they were closed due to electricity problem wtf. So yes, I didn't give up and I went there again on the following day. Not going back to Malaysia without having my second choc pot HAHAHA wtf.

The Choc Pot  
Mon-Thurs 10am-10pm
Fri 10am-11pm
Sat 11am-11pm
Sun 11am-10pm

Burwood Station// Google Map


Sydney Madang Korean BBQ


Another favourite place to eat in Sydney CBD is Madang! I've blogged about it here when I visited Madang for the first time. Given that we are a bunch of uncreative people, we ordered the same dishes again (i.e. hotpot, seafood pancake and stir fried baby octopus) wtf hahaha.

Madang's seafood pancake remains superior: it is filled with a generous amount of seafood + crispy on the edges, fluffy on the middle. The large portion costs $28 but it's so worthwhile omg.

Sydney Madang Korean BBQ 
Sun-Sat 11.30am-2am

Museum Station // Google Map


Pancakes on the Rocks



Pancakes on the Rocks is listed on most blogs/ websites as one of the must eats in Sydney. We tried their sweet pancake Coco Berry ($13.95) and savoury crepe Thai Chicken ($15.95).

Coco Berry: Chocolate pancakes with coconut, cream, vanilla ice cream topped with our chocolate sauce and raspberry coulis

Thai Chicken: Thai style chicken breast pieces in spicy satay sauce with carrots and coriander. Served on a bed of mixed lettuce and topped with fresh bean shoots and crispy ginger.

Pancakes on the Rocks
Sun-Thurs 7am-10.30pm
Fri-Sat 7am-12pm

Website// Google Map


Zumbo


I've never been a fan of maccarons and I never understood the hype. I mean, are you telling me that this little round thing which I can finish eating in one bite tastes awfully sweet costs 3 bucks per piece? No thanks.

But Zumbo proved me wrong.

We decided to get 6 maccarons ($17) from Zumbo because my sister remembered that Zumbo collaborated with Arnott's to make Zumbo flavoured Tim Tams. So we thought, why not? I swear tourists always do the most random things whenever they travel. 



And yes, I grabbed another box of Zumbo on the following day when I passed by Town Hall Station. *facepalm*

The flavours that I've tried are: salted butter caramel, salted butter popcorn, passion fruit, pistachio, and crème brulee. My personal favourite is... *drumrolls* salted butter caramel and salted butter popcorn! Both were also recommended by the staff as their top sellers.

Zumbo Patisserie QVB
Sun 9am-5pm
Mon-Wed 8am-6.30pm
Thurs 7am-9.30pm
Fri 7am-6.30pm
Sat 8am-6.30pm

Town Hall Station // Google Map


Blackstar Pastry


I vaguely remember that a lot of my friends had strawberry watermelon cake when they visited Sydney, so I made sure to squeeze in some time to hunt for this just for the sake of been there, done that. I didn't have high expectation but I was pleasantly surprised after trying the cake myself, goodness I didn't know strawberry and watermelon match so well! It certainly left me wanting more because the slice of cake is rather small and it costs around $8. 

Just to clarify, the original Blackstar Pastry is in Newtown but alternatively you can head over to Kinokuniya in The Galleries. The location is much more convenient! 

Blackstar Pastry
Sun 11am-5.30pm
Mon-Wed 10am-6.30pm
Thurs 10am-8pm
Fri 10am-6.30pm
Sat 10am-6.30pm

Town Hall Station // Google Map


Hurricane's Grill



I don't think you can claim that you've been to Sydney if you've never tried Hurricane's Grill: it's a place where everyone and their mother/ father/ relatives/ friends (you get the idea) know. I posted the photos above on my Insta story without tagging the location, yet most of my friends were able to recognise it and went "HURRICANE???"  

We ordered full rack of pork ribs ($55) with baked potato with sour cream and chives as well as half rack of beef ribs ($38) with sweet potato fries. I just love love loveeeee their pork ribs (so tender and so good with the sauce!) and sweet potato fries. Where can I find such addictive sweet potato fries in Malaysia? *sobs*

Hurricane's Grill
Circular Quay Station // Website // Google Map


AN Restaurant


It's become a tradition for me to have Vietnamese food whenever I'm in Australia because of the authenticity. I was bummed about the bowl of pho that I had in Flemington before since the broth isn't that flavourful and I thought I would leave Sydney without having a delicious bowl of pho.

BUT! God must be on my side hahaha because my sister's housemate happens to be a Vietnamese and he drove us to Bankstown on my last night in Sydney. He introduced us to AN Restaurant where I had a medium serving of pho topped with beef combination (rare beef, cooked beef, beef tendon & tripe) at the price of $16.50. I surprised myself by finishing the whole bowl despite the big portion! The broth is superb!

AN Restaurant
7am-9pm // Website // Google Map


The Grounds of Alexandria



It's not difficult to understand why the Grounds of Alexandria is THE cafe to go to when you're in Sydney. I mean, it's actually quite an experience: there's so much to see and overall it's a beautiful place (garden) to take Insta-worthy photos!

It's totally possible to just treat the Grounds of Alexandria as an attraction and leave after taking photos without eating there LOL wtf because as everyone can reasonably expect, the prices are steeeep here. However, we feel that the experience wouldn't be complete without having a meal there so we decided to just go for it.

Even the menu is so adorable!
The Shed Platter ($52)


We had the Shed Platter (can be shared between 2 to 4 people) which consists of a selection of cured meat, marinated white anchovies, salted cod, pickles, cheese and olives with fresh toasted sourdough and crackers. Personally I find the cured meat and cheese really delicious but the olives are sooooo sour that my face went > <

The Grounds of Alexandria
Website // Google Map


Special mentions:

Mesa Barrio


On the way to the Blue Mountain and have no idea what to eat? You may want to consider dropping by this top-rated Mediterranean restaurant. 






Mesa Barrio
Website // Google Map


Harry's Bondi


I just love beaches in general; so calm and relaxing. Hence to nobody's surprise I went to Bondi Beach again despite having to go alone. But hey, being alone means you get to chill at your own pace and hunt for cafes!

Pavlova Hotcake ($22)

Did a little bit of research online and apparently Harry's is named as one of the places where you can get nice hotcakes. This is also a dish which makes me realize how the living cost in Sydney is really higher than Melbourne lolol. I had something similar at the Black Kettle in Melbourne earlier this year which costed me around the same price but probably double the portion.


My view for brunch. Love the pastel colours!

Harry's Bondi
7am - 4pm // Website // Google Map


Emperor's Puffs


Prolly the most popular snack in Chinatown: custard puffs at Emperor's Puffs! 

Emperor's Puffs
12pm - 9pm // Google Map


Yomie's Rice X Yogurt



Passed by this shop a couple of times and there was always a long queue which really made Gongcha next door seemed so... quiet in comparison. Curiosity got the best of us, so we joined the long queue even though we hate waiting wtf hahaha. And even though rice x yogurt sounded like a weird combination to us.

But I actually enjoyed it a lot more than expected? It had the right amount of sweetness plus it was very chewy. As much as I like it, I'm not really willing to queue for 40 minutes just for a drink. Never mind the long wait, it was so frustrating when some thick-faced people just deliberately cut queue wtf.   

Yomie's Rice X Yogurt
11am - 10pm // Google Map


Max Brenner



I don't think Max Brenner needs any introduction right? Honestly it's kinda sweet for me but I guess most people like it judging from its popularity, so it all comes down to preference!


Maopai Dishes of Hotpot


I wasn't that fond of dry pot because I never had a really nice one in Malaysia, but woah I really like the dry pot served here. The food pictured above is part of their set lunch, which is actually a very good deal if you ask me. It only costs $14 and comes with a glass of soya and dumplings.


Chinese Noodle Restaurant (a.k.a. Fake Grapes)


It is interesting to note that they're recognized by some people due to the fake grapes dangling from the ceiling lolol. If you crave for Chinese food but have a tight budget, this is the place to go to! Our favorites are the fried ramen and dumplings.

Chinese Noodle Restaurant
10am - 10pm // Google Map


Phew this list is longer than what I originally expected. Will be in Sydney again next year so might have more food to add on to the list teeheeee! Till then.

Post a Comment

My Instagram

Made with by OddThemes | Distributed by Gooyaabi Templates