Useful Apps for Taichung + Taipei Trip

I did a similar post for my Seoul trip about a year ago here, and this time it's for Taichung and Taipei! I personally find apps really useful because we live in an era whereby we just can't live without our smartphones, plus it's way easier to have everything in your smartphone than to carry travel books and maps.

I'm sure you can find a bunch of apps easily from Google Play Store / Apple App Store, but I'm just going to share some of the apps that I have actually tried during my trip.

#1 Google Map

I wouldn't have made it this far without Google Map, my eternal lifesaver. Using Google Map is pretty straightforward and I believe most people have used it before, so I'm not going to be long-winded.

Basically, I used it to check the distance between where I was and where I wanted to go in order to determine if I should walk or opt for bus / train. Google Map can show you which bus to take, where to take it and etc.

Finding your destination by walking is also made easier with Google Map because you literally just need to follow the arrow and the path highlighted on the map. It is so simple to the extent that I didn't even bother to check the names of the streets when I was in Taiwan.


I am hopeless when it comes to taking buses. For me, I would always go for train instead of bus if I can, bus is never in the picture unless I really have no other viable options. Unfortunately, I had to rely on buses because there was / is no subway system in Taichung. Some places are simply too far away to walk to.

With this app, you can see real time information (e.g. how many minutes until the bus arrives at this particular station) once you key in the bus route number. It even shows you the bus number plate. If you can understand Mandarin, you might want to download this.


I always download an app that allows me to navigate faster in a city with train system. I mean, why would you want to spend time to look at this (see below) when you can have an app to do it for you in less than 10 seconds?


I encountered some problems in deciding which metro app to use while in Taiwan because in my opinion, these apps are not as good as the one I used in Seoul. For example, I have to click on the departure and destination station in order for the app to calculate the fare and travel time. However, this means that I have to know where exactly are the stations on the map since the app does not allow me to search for the station by typing the name.

Unfortunately, I have downloaded and tried a few metro apps and none has the function that I want, so this is probably the best that I could find. Anyway all metro apps are more or less the same, so it really depends on which interface you prefer.

Post a Comment

My Instagram

Made with by OddThemes | Distributed by Gooyaabi Templates