Thoughts on solo travel to Taiwan



Hey folks! I just came back from Taiwan two weeks ago after doing some soul-searching alone wtf hahaha and I cannot wait to share my experience with you as a solo traveler while I still remember!

So how did it all start?

For the past few years, I notice that some of my female friends have been traveling to different parts of the world on their own. I thought it's a really cool thing to do because not everyone can have the courage to travel to a foreign country and stay alone (even if it's just for a short period of time).

It must be a Sagittarius thing because ever since then I've decided that one day I shall travel alone too since I would love to be freeeeee. However, I thought it would probably take a couple of years for me to be mentally prepared for a solo trip because:

  1. I have a bad sense of directions. It has slightly improved over the years since I drive but I still get lost easily despite using GPS wtf. So if I were to travel alone, I figured that I might not be able to even find my hostel hahaha.
  2. I am shy. I can imagine my friends rolling their eyes really hard right now wtf but it is true especially when I'm surrounded by strangers. Overall, I'm just a socially awkward penguin so... 
But being someone who has no self-control when it comes to travelling, I kind of just booked my flight to Taiwan abruptly during AirAsia's promo. I guess I was never meant to wait so long to embark on a journey hahaha. 

Overall, I'm glad that I chose Taiwan as the country to travel alone to because it is just perfect to me!
  1. There's no language barrier for me since I can speak, read and understand Mandarin (although I have to admit there was once or twice that I couldn't quite get what the locals were saying as their accent is a bit different from Malaysians'). 
  2. Taiwan is a relatively safe country. Of course, this doesn't mean that you can just ignore all the basic safety tips when you travel, such as keeping your valuables in separate places and avoiding dark and unlit streets. I did do some sketchy things (i.e. using Google Map/ playing with my phone in the middle of the street, keeping all my valuables in my backpack) but fortunately nothing bad happened. Please try not to do all these when you're travelling alone!
  3. Taiwanese are really friendly. They were always so patient while explaining to me whatever I asked. Now imagine if I were in Hong Kong oh gosh. 
And most important of all, I did not get lost in Taiwan heh! Google Map ftw, it did not disappoint at all. For the next few months, I'll be posting about my trip to Taichung and Taipei. Stay tuned! :) 

Post a Comment

My Instagram

Made with by OddThemes | Distributed by Gooyaabi Templates