Tongin Market @ Seoul

Photo credit

While searching for traditional markets to visit in Seoul, I came across Tongin Market and was immediately attracted to its unique concept which allows you to create your own dosirak for a mere 5,000 won.   

My plan was to visit Gwanghwamun - Gyeongbokgung Palace - Tongin Market since they are all nearby. However, our tour in Gyeongbokgung Palace took quite awhile that it was almost 2.50pm by the time we finished (Tongin Market closes at 4pm). My bro thought there was no point to go to Tongin Market since it was already late and we were starving like mad but I insisted to stick to the original plan. Tongin Market is a must go!    

Traditional coins

For the detailed step by step guideline on Tongin Market's Dosirak Cafe, click here

You will need to pay 5,000 won in exchange for a plastic tray and 10 traditional coins (each coin is worth 500 won). FYI, most of the food and drink in Tongin Market only costs about 1,000 won.  

My 5,000 won dosirak

I spent all my traditional coins on food such as egg rolls (500 won), unknown food which tastes like tteokbokki and I bought it because I only had 1 coin left wtf hahaha (500 won), mandu (1,000 won), gireum / stir-fried tteokbokki (1,000 won), Korean pancake (1,000 won) and japchae (1,000 won). I've read numerous reviews about Tongin Market and gireum tteokbokki seems to be the specialty there. 

The dosirak may not seem to be a lot but it's super filling for me and I even skipped dinner that night. For 5,000 won, this is a freaking good deal! To be honest, rice and soup ain't even necessary. 

Entrance to Tongin Market

Directions: Gyeongbokgung Station (Line 3 Exit 2)

  • You will see Paris Baguette, Baskin Robbins, Tony Moly and GS25 on your left. Continue straight on until you see the entrance to Tongin Market as shown above on your left.




I would highly recommend everyone to visit Tongin Market if you plan to go to Gwanghwamun and Gyeongbokgung Palace, especially those who want to try out different types of Korean food. Trust me, you will not regret it! It's my favorite traditional market in Seoul and I'll definitely revisit if I ever go back to Seoul.

Post a Comment

My Instagram

Made with by OddThemes | Distributed by Gooyaabi Templates