#YOLO Malacca Day Trip


Bonjour! A new blog in the new year 2016 with the purpose of remembering places that I've been to and food that I've eaten wtf hahaha. Hopefully this blog gets updated more often because I really enjoy traveling!  

My first post today is related to a random day trip to Malacca on the last Saturday of January 2016 with my YOLO gang. The main objective of this trip is to eat, eat and EAT and it started right after we got into the car thanks to zy's buns and pork jerky (a.k.a bagua) as well as xm's kuih kapek! 

Pork jerky / bagua

I might be the only jakun one but I've never seen coin-shaped bagua, and thus this deserves a photo wtf hahaha. Our first stop was Freeport A'Famosa Outlet but we were there a little too early and the shops were not opened, so we spent some time exploring the area and taking photos instead.


Windmill

If you happen to visit the Freeport A'Famosa Outlet, feel free to pose all you want for photos before or after your shopping spree! Since we were there early, we basically had the whole place to ourselves for shameless selfies and photos. #sorrynotsorry 

In addition, you can actually climb up the stairs and take photos through the window. As you can see, you can capture great photos with a lot of feels with the right angle wtf hahaha.

Our fake candid photo

Peach blossom garden

Merry go round

Our toes wtf

There are a number of well known brands such as G2000, Levi's, Hush Puppies, Victoria's Secret, Nike, Nature Republic, and Forever 21 (just to name a few) which sell items at discounted price, so if you ever plan to shop there, make sure you bring extra cash or credit card with you! 

We were just casually walking around with no particular store in mind when we (well basically just xm and I hahaha) suddenly saw this and let out a scream of joy. 

Cotton On!

Honestly I hate its shirts because the quality is so poor for the price that you pay, but the shoes are comfy and the ripped jeans are totally my style omg. If only I knew beforehand that I would be going to an outlet like this with discounts, I wouldn't have bought it so soon *cries*

We then proceeded to the Christ Church area before going to Jonker Street for FOODDDD! The maroon-painted landmarks look rather amazing so it's a no wonder that the area is always crowded with many tourists around. 






Christ Church


We made our way to the famous Jonker Street with an empty stomach and settled down at 和记鸡粒饭 (Hoe Kee Chicken Rice) for lunch based on my friend's recommendation. 

Chicken Rice Balls

We only ordered 3 people's portion even though there were 4 of us because we wanted to save our tummy for other food in Malacca. So wise right hahahaha. Anyway, I personally find the chicken very tender so do come and try it out if you're in Malacca because Hoe Kee Chicken Rice is quite famous in this area, and also because chicken rice balls is a must have in Malacca. 

After filling up our tummy, we took a stroll along Jonker Street where you can find a lot of shops selling souvenirs, crafts, clothes and of course, food. 

Non alcoholic tea with fruit flavour

Since we had to walk under the scorching hot sun, we did not hesitate at all to stop and buy these drinks. You can see how popular the Apple + Peach flavoured tea is from the photo hahaha. I've tried it and it's so refreshing during the hot weather! 




I would say Jonker Street is a rather nice place to visit even if you don't do anything much besides eating, drinking and taking photos like us wtf because there is a lot to see. You can easily spend a few hours here, provided if you can endure the hot weather hahaha. 

Our next stop was Jonker 88 which is a restaurant famous for its cendol, but we didn't just have cendol because the asam laksa smells damn good that we couldn't resist it once we stepped into the shop! 

Do expect to queue up if you go there on weekends because business is superb, but lucky for us, we managed to get an empty table after waiting for only about 10 minutes. 

Nyonya Asam Laksa



Baba Durian Cendol

Sagu Gula Melaka

As much as I enjoyed the Nyonya Asam Laksa (a little spicy for people with low tolerance for spiciness like me, but very flavourful and comes with a lot of ingredients) and Baba Durian Cendol, I disliked the Sagu Gula Melaka. We all agreed that it is way too sweet for our liking and we didn't really finish the whole bowl. 

Did some more walking before stopping for food again wtf. #saveme




Non alcohol tea

This is my absolute favourite! I kept telling myself that I wasn't going to have any more drinks because I wanted to go for Klebang's coconut shake but I just had to buy this after tasting it. Apple + Passion is the best! I bought 3 more to bring home as souvenirs because I didn't know what else to buy but don't judge me because I ended up buying pineapple tarts as well wtf hahaha but I regret it so much because it wasn't enough. I should have bought more!! 

I am so going to bulk buy this if I ever visit Malacca again wtf.


We also went to San Shu Gong (三叔公) which is located near the Hoe Kee Chicken Rice as mentioned above because my friends wanted to buy some souvenirs for their families. San Shu Gong sells a lot of local delicacies such as pineapple tarts, dodol and etc and you can taste them for free before buying them. 


Chilling at San Shu Gong while waiting for my friends 

There's actually a cafe in San Shu Gong and I guess it is famous for its Durian Cendol because I saw everyone eating it. I shall try it next time! 

Durian puffs

The last food item that we bought from Jonker Street was the durian puffs from Taste Better. Taste Better can also be found in KL these days but I feel that the durian puffs in Malacca taste better with more durian fillings (they are also bigger in size). 

An advice to you if you ever eat the ones from Malacca: remember to shove the whole durian puff into your mouth while eating it.

I didn't because my mouth couldn't fit the whole thing and then shit happened. The fillings oozed out and they were all over the place. What a mess. *facepalm* it was definitely not a pleasant scene that I'd want to remember.

Our next stop was Klebang Original Coconut Shake! This is a must go place in Malacca and it is perfect for Malacca's weather. 


Coconut shake

It's crazy when you think about how people can be so successful just by selling coconut shake. I mean, they do sell other food items but everyone is basically there for coconut shake. You'll understand what I'm referring to when you see the queue beside the road (for takeaway) and the number of people inside. Thankfully they are very efficient so you just need to order and pay for your coconut shake, find a seat inside and your coconut shake will come to you pretty soon!

It used to be quite difficult to find empty seats due to the crowd but the good news is they have added more tables and chairs.

If you have extra time, I would highly recommend you to visit the so-called desert near Pantai Klebang because the view is just magnificent. I don't really know the exact location of the place, we just navigated to Pantai Klebang and asked the local people there. 

Unpaved road

What I do remember is that you have to drive on the unpaved road like this to get there. 





Being in that place made me feel as if I was in some kind of desert overseas, it looks nothing like Malacca at all! Definitely not a view that you usually see in Malaysia.

We even spotted some Malay couples having their wedding photoshoots there, yes under the hot sun wtf. I'm not sure if I'd pick somewhere that looks like a desert to take my wedding photos but oh well, I guess it's unique enough hahaha.

And yes we did take a lot of photos but I'm lazy to upload all of them here. Maybe just a few heh.





Not sure if it's obvious from the photo above but we actually climbed up the hills to take photos wtf. Some hills are rather steep and can be a little slippery, so be careful if you decide to do the same thing as us. 



Climbing one hill after another fml

This place is definitely the most memorable one out of our Malacca day trip for all of us because... well, our car got stuck in the sand thrice wtf. It didn't only happen to us though, most of the cars had the same problem as us. 

The first time when we got stuck we totally had no idea what to do and were so helpless, luckily some guys came to our aid and pushed the car so we managed to escape... temporarily. During the second time and the third time, we did the same thing while one of my friends reversed the car.

We were so relieved when we finally left that place after some time because it was getting dark. But overall it wasn't that bad for us because we even have a friend who got stuck for hours wtf, I think we only spent about half an hour? 

Maybe next time we should just walk there.

Jonker Street Night Market

We went back to Jonker Street at night and it feels really different from what we saw in the morning with the operation of the night market. And then we umm, started eating again wtf.

Started to zone out at night wtf hahaha. Tiredddd

Potato on a stick

Mua Chi

Cheese oysters

Sushi

Fresh oysters

Fried oyster cake?

Portuguese Grilled Fish 

Such a satisfying dinner since we could try many dishes by sharing among ourselves! We also had watermelon juice simply because it looks so cool to carry a watermelon and walk around hahaha wtf. I haven't seen anything like this in KL.


Too bad the watermelon juice wasn't served chilled and honestly it was quite a burden to carry it around with us because it was so heavy. Not so cool after all hahaha. 

Our very last destination before leaving Malacca was the famous "longkang siham". Not exactly the most hygienic place to eat but it's worth a try if you like to eat things like snails, lala, and siham.

Lala

Sea snails

I was actually quite full from the pasar malam food hunt but couldn't stop eating here because the dipping sauce is really delicious! Not sure why we didn't think of ordering siham when the place is (informally) called "longkang siham" though. #idiots

Overall, it was a fun trip with little worries besides thinking of where to take photos and eat HAHAHA. Malacca is indeed a great place for weekend getaways because it's not that far away from KL. Would definitely come back for the food!

Total damage caused including petrol and toll: RM70+ per person.



Post a Comment

My Instagram

Made with by OddThemes | Distributed by Gooyaabi Templates