Sunbather Coffee @ The Sphere, Bangsar South


According to the Sphere's directory, Sunbather Coffee is a specialty coffee kiosk that serves high quality brews + Yoshoku lunch place in daytime (hot kitchen closes at 6pm, last call at 5.30pm) + Wafu ice cream and dessert bar at night + contemporary lifestyle gift shop. In case you're wondering, Yoshoku refers to a style of western-influenced cooking where popular cuisines from the West are incorporated into the Japanese food culture. 

I swear Sunbather Coffee has some of the most enticing food and beverages on the menu, but my interest was sadly dampened due to several incidents. The first time was when me and my friends were told that the cafe was completely full and the waiting time would be at least half an hour as we didn't make reservation. Since we really wanted to eat here, we asked if we could leave our contact details and come back later when seats are available, to which the staff said yes. However, we didn't receive any call from the staff, which was clearly disappointing. 

Few weeks later, another friend of mine expressed her desire to celebrate her birthday here and obviously the birthday girl's wish is my command haha. I wasn't gonna make the same mistake again, so I sent a Facebook message to Sunbather Coffee to make reservation. All I got was merely an automated message saying they were away and couldn't respond at that time, and nothing else after that. See how my impression of them became negative even before I stepped into the place?

Fortunately, Sunbather Coffee managed to redeem itself with its on-site services - the staff are generally polite and helpful. We ordered a bunch of things, such as their best-selling sandos, iced matcha latte with Hojicha kanten, matcha roll cake and Sunbather ice cream.   

Maple Peanut Chicken Sando (RM26) & Ajitsuke Tamago Sando (RM20)

The sandos are basically sandwiches with thick slices of house-baked dark rye bread and other ingredients. The Maple Peanut Chicken Sando contains chicken breast cooked sous vide, fresh apple slices, turkey ham, crispy lettuce, tomato, cheddar, and special homemade spiced maple peanut sauce. The Ajitsuke Tamago Sando contains sweet savory ramen egg, tomato, cheese, furikake and wasabi mayo.

This is where I have to admit my foolishness wtf, I thought the Ajitsuke Tamago Sando is vegetarian friendly and didn't think of clarifying further. I only found out later that it contains furikake, which typically consists dried fish. #failed

Now that I have a closer look at the e-menu, I realise only avocado toast is marked with vegetarian sign. This contradicts its delivery menu here, which shows other vegetarian options such as tomato miso curry and mushroom & spinach lasagna. The funny part is avocado toast isn't shown as vegetarian friendly on the delivery menu, same goes to spaghetti aglio olio with mixed mushrooms that is supposedly a vegetarian dish based on its description. All in all, it's just plain confusing and I wish all vegetarian options would be clearly indicated on its menus. It'd be better if the ingredients could also be listed on the e-menu. 

Anyway, while my friend was full of praises for the Maple Peanut Chicken Sando, I can't say the same for the Ajitsuke Tamago Sando since I find it overwhelmingly salty. For those of you who plan to sample a variety of food here, I'd suggest you to share the sando as the portion was so huge that I could only finish 1.5 of the sandwich. 

We also tried the signature drink iced matcha latte with Hojicha kanten (RM14), which I thought was quite nice but my friend claimed that it was too sweet for her, so it really boils down to personal preference. It is said that the drink is best enjoyed with an add-on scoop of vanilla ice cream. 
   
Matcha Roll Cake (RM10) [photo from Sunbather Coffee Facebook]

Thanks to my friend's craving, we ordered the super fluffy matcha roll cake that was made with premium grade matcha and Nama cream filling. They ain't lying when they said it would melt in your mouth!
 
Artisanal ice cream

Somehow we ended up stuffing ourselves with more desserts, never say never to ice cream! Sunbather Coffee uses real fruits and natural ingredients to produce authentic flavors instead of relying on artificial coloring, flavoring and preservatives. 

You can choose among single (RM7), double (RM12), triple (RM16.50), and tower (RM25). We opted for hojicha and honey rose & pistachio and both flavors were so delicious! Honey rose & pistachio is a premium flavor so there's a surcharge of RM1.



Sunbather Coffee



Post a Comment

My Instagram

Made with by OddThemes | Distributed by Gooyaabi Templates